Alabama School of Fine Arts | 1800 Reverend Abraham Woods, Jr. Blvd. | Birmingham, AL 35203 | 205.252.9241
In 1971, the Legislature approved a resolution formally establishing the school. In 1974, after a year at Samford University, the school moved to Birmingham-Southern College, where it consolidated five arts programs and a core academic program, staffed in part by the Birmingham Public Schools. In 1976, the school moved to its own temporary campus in downtown Birmingham, where it established a private, non-profit support foundation to raise private funding to build an all-new campus complex.
In 1992, the Legislature approved a new law providing more specific authorization for the school. The next year, the school moved into its new $10 million facility at the heart of Birmingham’s Cultural District. Campus improvements continued with the addition of a theater (1995) and mathematics and science wing (1996). The math/science wing houses the school’s sixth specialty program, established in 1990 with a major donation from the Russell Corporation. In 1999, the school opened a creative writing wing.
In 2006, the Alabama School of Fine Arts Foundation kicked off the Stars of Tomorrow capital campaign, to raise money to build a 650 seat theatre complex called The Performance Network. This will allow the city to broaden its creative and cultural base and set a new national standard for high school learning and performing in the arts. (For more information on The Performance Network, see Support ASFA.)