Theatre arts students at ASFA explore the world of theatre to develop their individual talents and to contribute to the collaborative process of theatre. Students participate in all phases of the department’s work. A good actor appreciates the labor involved in creating scenery, props and costumes, and a good technician appreciates the difficulty of creating a character on stage. Theatre arts course study includes acting, movement, theater history, musical theatre, acting for film, directing, stagecraft, design, and production courses. Theatre faculty include technical and artistic teaching artists from the nation’s top conservatories and industry professionals who are members of the Screen Actors Guild, Actors’ Equity Association. Theater faculty includes John Manzelli (Department Chair), MFA, an award-winning actor of stage and screen and critically acclaimed director; Peggy Hammond, MFA, an experienced costume designer/educator; Laura Prim, MFA, who has designed sets and lights for theatres across the United State and internationally; and Susan McCain, MFA, a SAG actor who was mentored by Lee Strasburg.
Graduates continue to careers in film, television, tech theatre, and attend illustrious conservatories and colleges.
Universities/Conservatories Accepted Into:
NYU-Tisch, CalArts, University of Southern California, North Carolina School for the Arts, Uta Hagen Institute, New York Film Academy, Royal Conservatory of Scotland, and the University of the Arts, Philadelphia.
Notable Theatre Alumni:
- Ajiona Alexus: Atlantic Records recording artist and actress, known for her roles in the Netflix hit series "13 Reasons Why," Tyler Perry’s “Acrimony,” and Will Packer's "Breaking In."
- Suzanne Collins: Author of "The Hunger Games"
- Ryan Jamaal Swain: Film & Television actor, "Pose," "Conframa," named a Forbes 30 under 30
- Chuck Yates: Award-winning artistic director and producer, theatre founder, screenwriter
- Aron Altmark: Lighting and production design Top 30 under 30 business owner and creative director of Visual Endeavors
- Erica Oyama: Emmy-nominated producer and screenwriter
- Colby Holman: Actor, "Fear the Walking Dead"
- Henry L. Washington, Jr.: Ph.D Candidate at Stanford University